Beautiful remontant (re-blooming) mophead hydrangea with blooms of pink or blue, depending on soil pH. Small, lustrous, mildew resistant dark green leaves. Blooms spring to summer. Removing spent flowers will encourage rebloom into fall. Can be grown in Zone 4 with good winter protection. See 'General Maintence' below for instructions on winter care protection in Zone 4, or 'Care and Planting' below for Container Planting instructions for Colder Zones.
- Partial Sun to Full sun
- Mature Height : 3 Feet
- Mature Spread : 3 Feet
- Zone : 4 - 9
- This plant comes in Blue and Red pot specially for Mother's Day.
- The genus name Hydrangea comes from hydor meaning "water" and aggeion meaning "vessel", in reference to the cup-like capsular fruit.
- 'Mini Penny' was developed by Michael Dirr of the University of Georgia Research Foundation from a seedling of an open-pollinated Hydrangea macrophylla 'Penny Mac'.
- It was named after Penny McHenry, a founder of the American Hydrangea Society.
- It is a compact, dwarf, reblooming, mophead hydrangea with pink blooms in neutral soil and blue blooms in acid soil.
Note: The plant is shipped in its pot, firmly secured with several layers of clear tape, thereby avoiding any shuffling and moving during transit. The plant reaches you with minimal damage- very safe and secure. We have been shipping plants like this for several years (plant are sometimes shipped in smaller pots for safety and ease of shipping). Most plants go dormant in fall and winter and will lose most of their leaves - looking dead and dry - very normal. They will flush out in spring.
We cannot send ship some plants and some sizes to California due to restrictions placed by department of agriculture.
Growing Zones: 4-9
|Mature Height:||3 Feet|
|Sunlight:||Partial Sun to Full Sun|
|Mature width:||3 Feet|
|Botanical Name:||Hydrangea macrophylla 'Mini Penny'